A Few Suggested Ideas
- McWane Science Center—www.mcwane.org
Picture the wonders of science laid out like a thrilling adventure- the sights, sounds and textures of the most intriguing aspects of our world ready for you to explore at your leisure. That’s what you’ll discover at the McWane Center, Alabama’s exciting new science museum. Also catch the latest movie at the IMAX Theatre.
- Alabama Sports Hall of Fame–www.ashof.org
From Paul “Bear” Bryant to Jesse Owens, Willie Mays, and Lorenzo “Piper” Davis, the memorabilia and memories of Alabama’s sports heroes are enshrined at the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.
- Birmingham Museum of Art–www.artsbma.org
Over 22,000 works of art dating from ancient to modern times is what you will see at the Birmingham Museum of Art. Included are paintings, sculpture, drawings and textiles from many diverse cultures, particularly European, American and Asian as well as growing collections from Africa, Pre-Columbian and Native American. Have a lunch at the Terrace Café and browse the gift shop.
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute–www.bcri.org
Not many achievements in the past half-century compare in importance with the American Civil Rights movement. The District is a six–block tribute to the monumental fight for human rights in this country. Sixteenth Baptist Church, Kelly Ingram Park.
- Railroad Park–www.railroadpark.org
Railroad Park, an award –winning 21–acre downtown green space that invites beginning bikers, walkers, runners, dog owners and skateboarders to share the great outdoors. USA Today named Railroad Park
one of the "10 Best" U.S. parks.
- Red Mountain Park & Red Ore Zip Tour
Our current attractions include 14 miles of trails featuring 2 city overlooks, 3 tree houses, a 6-acre scenic dog park, and adventures like the Red Ore Zip and Hugh Kaul Beanstalk Tower. But this is only the beginning..
- Vulcan Park & Museum–www.visitvulcan.com
Vulcan, the Roman god of the forge and the largest cast-iron statue in the world, overlooks Red Mountain. The city view from the outdoor observation balcony is spectacular. Meeting space is available.
Tour Services and Step On Guides
- Barry McNealy Mile Stone Tours (specializes in civil rights/city tours)
- Jim Kelley Step On Guide Service (specializes in city tours/archaeology)
- Tours by Linda Fryer (specializes in city/educational tours)
Shuttle and Transportation Options